Welcome to my blog. I have had ALS for 10 years now.

Since I started this blog in June 2008 I've had amazing feedback. Family, friends, people from all over North America, Australia, Scotland, England, and places I can't recall, have commented, encouraged and corresponded. I had no idea when Cynthia taught me how to set this up, how much I would love posting and how many people would read it. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped propel this therapeutic exercise into a daily routine. All of you, both friends and visitors, are now part of my blog family. Welcome.

From Go Pro

From Go Pro
View from my living room

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A VERY interesting day!

It all started when I got the bright idea that I should start doing my own clothes shopping. Up until now, my friends have purchased most of my clothes for me--either as gifts or upon my request of something I need. I don't know why, but I was timid(or lazy?) about going downtown and shopping for clothes. My care worker told me she would assist and it would be easy. So off we went.

We got the bus that would take us near the large department stores. All was going well. I didn't drive off the bus ramp or run over any stretched out toes, and as usual in this city, the bus driver let me ride free.

I went into The Bay department store and all h--- let loose. First of all everyone thought I was in the Paralympics so smiled, waved and said "Welcome to Vancouver." I felt guilty but didn't bother to explain. I simply sat as straight as I could to look athletic! THEN we went shopping. While I toured the aisle filled with new summer sport clothes, my Permobil rear wheels(not me!) caught a whole rack of jogging pants and proceeded to tow them a few feet before tilting them over onto my care worker. Luckily she is strong, and caught the rack before it smothered her and put it upright again. That started the laughing. Then the elevator--we got in and I was sure it was the wrong one so I zipped out but my careworker couldn't follow me out in time so the doors closed and down she went. I started to laugh, but remember I was all alone now. I couldn't stop laughing. People passed by and glanced sideways at the crazy lady laughing hysterically(by herself) folded over in her power chair. Finally, my care worker came back up and out of the elevator. I was so happy to see her. We are both out of control in laughter now and in attempt to regain my composure I backed up where no one could see me. However, when I went forward my bag on the back of the chair hooked a mannequin. Need I say any more? Desperate for sanity I suggested we go for lunch. To get to the food court, I must ride a lift down the staircase to the mall. Halfway down, the lift stops. It was stuck. Perched in the air with many tourists pointing and asking what was wrong, I started laughing again. As security gathered to solve the problem I asked my care worker to take a picture to prove this story to my friends. They finally got the rig going and I had lunch. I won't bore you with the rest of the events except to mention the rain came while waiting for the bus and the handles broke off my Bay bag with all my new clothes in it. I had to hug the wet bag all the way home. The End.

I still laugh about it and we're going back tomorrow. I hope they let me in. Wish me luck.


Kristina said...

WOW! You just made my day!
I was laughing so hard! Sounds like an adventure! HA! :)
P.S Welcome to Vancouver...

Alice said...

what a great adventure - lol! wish i'd been there :)