Welcome to my blog. I have had ALS for 10 years now.


Since I started this blog in June 2008 I've had amazing feedback. Family, friends, people from all over North America, Australia, Scotland, England, and places I can't recall, have commented, encouraged and corresponded. I had no idea when Cynthia taught me how to set this up, how much I would love posting and how many people would read it. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped propel this therapeutic exercise into a daily routine. All of you, both friends and visitors, are now part of my blog family. Welcome.

From Go Pro

From Go Pro
View from my living room

Monday, August 10, 2009

Another Story

Al Pettit was a Captain with the Mississauga Fire & Emergency Services for almost 33 years before retiring with the goal of traveling with his wife Lee. Shortly after Al retired, however, their plans were interrupted when Al was diagnosed with ALS in October 2003. Suddenly, Al had a new goal – live life with ALS.

“When I was diagnosed I already had an idea of what I had because of research I did on the internet,” says Al. Yet, when his doctor said, “Sorry but you have ALS,” he felt like someone pulled a black hood over his head. “You feel like you will never see daylight the same again.”

With the help and support of family and friends Al began to see that ALS is not the death sentence as he first feared. Al’s positive outlook and perspective on living with ALS has motivated him to get more involved with the ALS community and savour the many joys of life. Joys that include a successful marriage of over 36 years, two beautiful children and the births of his two granddaughters.

Al has promoted ALS awareness in his local community, organized a team in the Walk for ALS, and continues to moderate and provide emotional support through the ALS online forum.

If you ask Al how he lives with ALS, he will say:

“You begin to realize that you can be living with ALS or dying of it. I’ve decided to live with it. One day at a time.”

1 comment:

Alice said...

great story, great idea :)