Welcome to my blog. I have had ALS for 10 years now.


Since I started this blog in June 2008 I've had amazing feedback. Family, friends, people from all over North America, Australia, Scotland, England, and places I can't recall, have commented, encouraged and corresponded. I had no idea when Cynthia taught me how to set this up, how much I would love posting and how many people would read it. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped propel this therapeutic exercise into a daily routine. All of you, both friends and visitors, are now part of my blog family. Welcome.

From Go Pro

From Go Pro
View from my living room

Monday, July 6, 2009

Jack Orchard dies at 41




Jack Orchard, Lou Gehrig's disease, ALS
FILE: TUESDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2007 -- Jack Orchard and his girlfriend, Kristen Williamson, share a moment as they search for music on the computer on Tuesday at their home in Richmond Heights. Orchard wrote his memoir about his life with ALS. Even though he can't move his body, he uses a device that tracks his eye movement to navigate the computers. He also started a charity, Extra Hands for ALS, that help match student volunteers to assists people with the disability. (Huy R. Mach/P-D)
By Harry Jackson Jr.
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
07/06/2009

Jack Lampl Orchard died Saturday (July 4, 2009) after a long battle with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. He was 41.

"He fought ALS; he never let it beat him," said Mark Jaffe, a lifelong friend. "He was always a fighter. On our high school football team, he was the captain in our senior year, even though he wasn't the biggest or the strongest. That's just how he was. Always a fighter."


Mr. Orchard, a successful international entrepreneur, is best remembered for forming two foundations to fight amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: the Jack Orchard ALS Foundation, which according to friends and family raised more than $1 million for ALS research; and the Extra Hands for ALS Foundation, which recruits and trains young people across the country to help people living with ALS.

1 comment:

Alice said...

i'm always touched when you post a story about someone with ALS. it reminds me of all i need to be praying about for you. it breaks my heart. stay strong. remember that somewhere in Florida, someone prays for you every day.