Welcome to my blog. I have had ALS for 10 years now.


Since I started this blog in June 2008 I've had amazing feedback. Family, friends, people from all over North America, Australia, Scotland, England, and places I can't recall, have commented, encouraged and corresponded. I had no idea when Cynthia taught me how to set this up, how much I would love posting and how many people would read it. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped propel this therapeutic exercise into a daily routine. All of you, both friends and visitors, are now part of my blog family. Welcome.

From Go Pro

From Go Pro
View from my living room

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Days are going fast


I'm sitting in Starbucks  on the UBC campus at the corner of East Mall and Agronomy St., sipping a caramel macchiato and writing to you. I wonder what my friends like Cynthia and the members of my writing club and others have been writing and/or painting?
My ALS pals, I'm sure, are making the most of each day and facing challenges with more panache than King Henri the lV. 
I can now sit myself up on the side of the bed and get myself into bed with baby transfer steps. 
After I'm home I'm ordering a new wheel chair with all the bells and whistles. With power recline and tilt, I'll be able to snooze in my chair. It will be the new model of the Invacare TDX SP. The reasons I chose this over the Permobil were:
Smoother ride over bumps outside(good shocks)
Tighter turning radius indoors(mid wheel drive)
Good back support for me
Parts are easily available for repairs
Cost is about 32,000.00 but my insurance is paying for most of it. Hooray for that.

It will be "Grasshopper Green"..fits my personality and can be easily seen by cars.

I'll try to include a picture and link to site for other ALS PALS. I demoed both Permobil and Invacare and was surprised at my choice. 

I'm feeling good and have little pain. My shoulders are weakening making dressing difficult but I have help. My goal is to be cruising up Granville street soon and down to Granville Island and sending you photos of my adventures. I still love life, have met many fascinating people in hospital, and have regained my fighting spirit. My 97 year old room mate calls me "a wonderful soldier." 
Please keep the good wishes flowing as I love all your comments online, by card, and in person.
I have the best group of friends and family a person could have.
Love to you all,
Karyn

1 comment:

Alice said...

karyn, so good to see you here on your blog! i've been out of town for a week and have just gotten home this afternoon. kali and i went to the National speech and debate tournament in south carolina (we live in florida). I was a judge. Kali didn't compete in this one, but supported her friends that were there. I'm looking forward to you getting back home and back online on a regular basis :). I missed you!