Welcome to my blog. I have had ALS for 10 years now.


Since I started this blog in June 2008 I've had amazing feedback. Family, friends, people from all over North America, Australia, Scotland, England, and places I can't recall, have commented, encouraged and corresponded. I had no idea when Cynthia taught me how to set this up, how much I would love posting and how many people would read it. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped propel this therapeutic exercise into a daily routine. All of you, both friends and visitors, are now part of my blog family. Welcome.

From Go Pro

From Go Pro
View from my living room

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Neurotransmitters(chemicals) and how they are involved with ALS, Parkinson's, Depression

"Neurotransmitters are chemicals that are used to relay and modulate signals between a neuron and another cell. There are many different types of neurotransmitters in the brain, each divided into particular groups depending on their make up and function. For example glutamate is a common neurotransmitter that ensures nerve cells communicate with each other and that 'messages' to move a muscle as in the case of the motor system get through.

A problem that results in over or under supply of a transmitter causes specific symptoms and problems. A disruption in supply of dopamine is associated with Parkinson's Disease for example, while depression has been linked to various neurotransmitters including seratonin. In ALS there has been an excess of a neurotransmitter called glutamate noted hence the role of Riluzole that helps clear glutamate.

There are many different neurotransmitters and related hormones running around in the human brain, the central nervous system, and the gastrointestinal system. They're all site-specific chemicals that can be absorbed only by certain cells, and only at certain spots. This ensures that the right kinds of messages get through. They are also used and absorbed differently in various areas of the body, and sometimes turned into other kinds of chemicals.

Along with the hormone melatonin, several neurotransmitters appear to be involved in bipolar disorders, including:

Serotonin. Also called 5-hydroxytryptamine or 5-HT, Serotonin controls sleep, mood, some types of sensory perception, body-temperature regulation, and appetite. It affects the rate at which hormones are released, and has something to do with inflammation.

Dopamine. Sometimes abbreviated as DA, this neurotransmitter helps control body movements and thought patterns, and also regulates how hormones are released.

Norepinephrine. Used by both the central nervous system and the peripheral sympathetic nervous system (the nerves that communicate with the rest of the body), it governs arousal, the "fight or flight" response, anxiety, and memory.

There are various antidepressant medications and they are thought to work by moderating the effects of neurotransmitters implicated in depression. SSRIs for example affect the reuptake of serotonin by the body which effectively should leave more of the chemical in the brain, boosting its stimulatory effect.

The work on glutamate so far is regarded as one piece of the puzzle in our understanding of the cause of ALS. "
This enlightening article was posted by Emma--a researcher at PLM(PatientsLikeMe).

I do not take Riluzole as it has proven to add about 2 or 3 months to one's life at best. It is a VERY expensive drug and although I have Extended Benefit Insurance I don't see it as being worthwhile. I took it in the beginning and had a "sugar pill" reaction but it soon wore off. Until they find something that extends my life for a reasonable time, with quality, I'm not interested. I'm doing well, and whatever will be will be.

Now that I've put you all to sleep, I'll sign out.

No comments: