Welcome to my blog. I have had ALS for 10 years now.


Since I started this blog in June 2008 I've had amazing feedback. Family, friends, people from all over North America, Australia, Scotland, England, and places I can't recall, have commented, encouraged and corresponded. I had no idea when Cynthia taught me how to set this up, how much I would love posting and how many people would read it. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped propel this therapeutic exercise into a daily routine. All of you, both friends and visitors, are now part of my blog family. Welcome.

From Go Pro

From Go Pro
View from my living room

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

March 16, 2012

Cellucci fights ALS, raises fund for research

BOSTON (AP) — Former Republican governors Paul Cellucci and William Weld, once partners in running state government, have joined forces again — this time to raise money for research into ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease.

Cellucci, 63, disclosed in January 2010 that he had been diagnosed with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. The disease attacks the brain and spine, and has no cure.

Yesterday, he appeared at a Boston fundraiser to help announce a $500,000 gift from the biopharmaceutical firm Biogen Idec to the UMass/ALS Champion Fund. Cellucci spearheaded creation of the fund, boosting researchers at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester as they work to find a treatment for the disease.

Cellucci, who uses a wheelchair, said he still feels good overall.

"I'm weak in my arms and legs, but everything else is working fine," he said. "I'm fortunate to have a slow case. I hope it stays that way."

At his side was Weld, who hosted the fundraiser and jokingly introduced Cellucci as the "hind legs on the so-called Weld-Cellucci kangaroo ticket. The hind legs were stronger than the front legs."

Cellucci was Weld's lieutenant governor from 1991 until 1997, when he became acting governor upon Weld's resignation. Cellucci was elected governor in 1998 and served until 2000, when he resigned to become U.S. Ambassador to Canada.


No comments: