Welcome to my blog. I have had ALS for 10 years now.


Since I started this blog in June 2008 I've had amazing feedback. Family, friends, people from all over North America, Australia, Scotland, England, and places I can't recall, have commented, encouraged and corresponded. I had no idea when Cynthia taught me how to set this up, how much I would love posting and how many people would read it. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped propel this therapeutic exercise into a daily routine. All of you, both friends and visitors, are now part of my blog family. Welcome.

From Go Pro

From Go Pro
View from my living room

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Change


"Most people can look back over the years and identify a time and place at which their lives changed significantly. Whether by accident or design, these are the moments when, because of a readiness within us and a collaboration with events occurring around us, we are forced to seriously reappraise ourselves and the conditions under which we live and to make certain choices that will affect the rest of our lives." Frederick Flack

I tend to agree more with Maxine, "Change is O.K. as long as I don't have to do anything differently."

As my strength goes out the window I need to make changes monthly. How I drink my coffee, how I transfer to bed, how I pay for things(I can no longer sign my name so Visa is out), how I hold my head(need headrest)---these are all adaptations to change. Do I like them? Of course not. Do I accept them? Only with a little grumbling. But with time I stop thinking about it and move on. I don't have any choice and I refuse to become melancholy for days. Change is a strange bedfellow. You look forward to it or dread it, you accept it or mumble about it forever. Time is so precious , therefore I choose to make changes with some grace. I'm thankful that I have help from the ALS Clinic and Society. I'm thankful that my friends and family encourage me. I'll just keep the occasional tantrum a secret between my caregiver and me.

1 comment:

Alice said...

each day is an accomplishment. praying for you daily, karyn. know that you are thought of, and cared for, by a bloggy friend in Florida :). i wish i could get up there to meet you, but that's probably not going to happen. but, if it did, we'd go strolling those beautiful streets you post pictures of, get ice cream, and take a couple hundred pictures :)