Welcome to my blog. I have had ALS for 10 years now.


Since I started this blog in June 2008 I've had amazing feedback. Family, friends, people from all over North America, Australia, Scotland, England, and places I can't recall, have commented, encouraged and corresponded. I had no idea when Cynthia taught me how to set this up, how much I would love posting and how many people would read it. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped propel this therapeutic exercise into a daily routine. All of you, both friends and visitors, are now part of my blog family. Welcome.

From Go Pro

From Go Pro
View from my living room

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Heart attacks in women


Knowing your family's history of heart disease is important because if you have a close relative with heart disease or diabetes, you are at higher risk for these conditions, too.

Even if you don't have symptoms of heart disease, having a strong family history - particularly if a parent died at a young age of a heart attack - may be enough reason to be checked early to catch problems that may not yet be causing symptoms. In 40 percent of people that develop heart disease, sudden death is the first symptom.

Learn the unique symptoms of heart disease in women.

Chest pain is the most common symptom of heart problems in both men and women, but women are much more likely to also experience subtle symptoms such as headaches, nausea and upset stomach, jaw or neck pain, shortness of breath and generalized fatigue.

Get help immediately. "Research shows that women tend to call for help later than men do, possibly because they don't recognize these atypical symptoms as signaling heart troubles, or possibly because their tolerance for pain is greater," says Dr. Mosca. If you have symptoms and think you might be having a heart attack or stroke, don't delay; call 911.

1 comment:

Alice said...

karyn - thanks for the reminders in the news article. my dad's side of the family had serious heart conditions, so i watch that all the time. in fact, my dad died 4 years ago from an acute heart attack. one can never read too much information on this topic - so thanks for your choice today :)