Welcome to my blog. I have had ALS for 10 years now.


Since I started this blog in June 2008 I've had amazing feedback. Family, friends, people from all over North America, Australia, Scotland, England, and places I can't recall, have commented, encouraged and corresponded. I had no idea when Cynthia taught me how to set this up, how much I would love posting and how many people would read it. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped propel this therapeutic exercise into a daily routine. All of you, both friends and visitors, are now part of my blog family. Welcome.

From Go Pro

From Go Pro
View from my living room

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Good Ol' Days


"The Bank of Canada cut its overnight rate by half a percentage point to 1%; it has now lowered the rate by 3.5 percentage points since December 2007. The previous low was 1.12% in July 1958."
I was only 12 in 1958 and knew diddly-squawk about interest rates.
If I was younger now, I'd borrow money at a variable rate and start snooping around stocks and real estate hoping to make a fortune in 10 yrs. Deflation worries keep the smart people's hands in their pockets. Since I'm on the older side of life and with a medical promise of less time, I'll just keep on spending to help out the economy.   
All I can remember about 1958 is NOT the interest rates but the Second Narrows Bridge collapsing, losing my pigtails and getting my first perm(it was a frizzy one), and starting high school. I suspect there were other significant happenings, but not in my little world. I did see an ad where acreage was $150 per acre out in the Fraser Valley in 1958. With mortgage rates at 4%  that seems like the good ol' days. But how much did the average person make back then?
I don't have the stats, but I do know my income as a teacher in 1968 was $450 per month. 


No comments: