Welcome to my blog. I have had ALS for 10 years now.


Since I started this blog in June 2008 I've had amazing feedback. Family, friends, people from all over North America, Australia, Scotland, England, and places I can't recall, have commented, encouraged and corresponded. I had no idea when Cynthia taught me how to set this up, how much I would love posting and how many people would read it. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped propel this therapeutic exercise into a daily routine. All of you, both friends and visitors, are now part of my blog family. Welcome.

From Go Pro

From Go Pro
View from my living room

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Complain complain





I don't complain very often(friends may disagree) but this last bout of back and hip pain is more than annoying. I'm O.K. in the day after stretching and doing some exercises the physio gave me--but the nights are killers. I walk like the little guy above. I've been told it's ALS and as you lose torso strength you seize up at night. Some patients are on narcotics. Well, I beg to differ the reason for my pain and don't wish to start narcotics. The pain is specific so I'm asking for an ultrasound or MRI. I may have another vertebra collapsing as I do have Osteopenia verging on Osteoporosis. However, I'm not going to dwell on it until I have a medical diagnosis. Worry interferes with having fun.
While I'm being negative, I've got fingers that are starting to curl and must get some bands to keep them straight, nerve pain in my foot and I bite my cheeks at night--all ALS related.
I can still eat, talk, shower independently, and I don't drool. There are more positives than negatives.
That's my list for this month. LOL. I'm coping with them and still able to get out and spend money!! I just didn't want you to think I was wonder woman--although I see some resemblance-- don't you? Be nice.

2 comments:

Alice said...

I certainly can see the resemblance :). I'm glad you have more positives than negatives. I couldn't even imagine. Praying for you, dear lady :), that the postivies continue to be the majority :).

Alice said...

karyn, i took some pictures of my daughter and posted them on my page. we took 2 shots for you - you can go to my page and look at the post to see them. just click on my name here and it will take you directly to my blog. been praying for you a good bit the past couple days. so, naturally, i thought about you when we were in the park and kali asked if we could take these pictures :)