Welcome to my blog. I have had ALS for 10 years now.


Since I started this blog in June 2008 I've had amazing feedback. Family, friends, people from all over North America, Australia, Scotland, England, and places I can't recall, have commented, encouraged and corresponded. I had no idea when Cynthia taught me how to set this up, how much I would love posting and how many people would read it. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped propel this therapeutic exercise into a daily routine. All of you, both friends and visitors, are now part of my blog family. Welcome.

From Go Pro

From Go Pro
View from my living room

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Another loss



Every few weeks we lose one of our online ALS community. It brings tears and questions. How much must one suffer? Do religions have a right to dictate how terminally ill patients die? Who dares criticize any person's choice of exit? Are we all emotionally able to deal with the same debilitating condition? If all of you who are reading this were sitting at a round table we would get many robust opinions. But we're not in the shoes of those who choose to exit early--and hopefully never will be.
Last Sunday, a man with ALS, part of our online community, went to his neighborhood park and ended his life. His wife loves him with enough strength to understand and accept his desire for eternal peace. I admire her.
Don't think for a moment that I have any plans for such action. This is not why I posted this. Rather to stimulate conversation about choices and the lack of them.
R.I.P. my friend. I shall never judge.

1 comment:

Alice said...

Karyn, I could never imagine what thoughts you live with everyday, nor the pains and knowledge you deal with every moment. I just pray that God is good to you, that He keeps you safe, and that if a cure is to be found - that it is to be found in time to make a difference for y o u !