Welcome to my blog. I have had ALS for 10 years now.


Since I started this blog in June 2008 I've had amazing feedback. Family, friends, people from all over North America, Australia, Scotland, England, and places I can't recall, have commented, encouraged and corresponded. I had no idea when Cynthia taught me how to set this up, how much I would love posting and how many people would read it. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped propel this therapeutic exercise into a daily routine. All of you, both friends and visitors, are now part of my blog family. Welcome.

From Go Pro

From Go Pro
View from my living room

Friday, October 17, 2008

My VGH visit today



For those of you who knew I was going in for a vascular ultra sound today, I want you to know that all is well. I had swelling in my left leg and my ALS doctor wanted to rule out a blood clot. After the test, they sent me home so I assume I'm not about to leave this world. However, I must say it was an ordeal to go to the hospital on my own by cab and with my walker. My muscles were terribly fatigued by the time I got home. In the future I'll relinquish this independent notion and have someone go with me and use a wheel chair when I'm there. I found it interesting that I couldn't go into the coffee shop as there were no chairs with arms. If I sat down I wouldn't be able to get up. I finally rested on a leather bench by a large wooden planter thinking I could use the ledge to help me stand. Well-- surprise! My legs weren't strong enough to get up with one arm. A passing angel(nurse) stopped to help me and we almost ended up planted together with the artificial fig tree. We finally made it and I was good to go. The nurse will probably have to call in sick tomorrow with a strained back. It was very frustrating in the moment but in memory quite funny. We must learn to laugh at such defeating incidents or the bridge will become crowded with potential jumpers. I shall sleep in tomorrow and hopefully get back some strength.

1 comment:

Alice said...

I'll just lift up a prayer for strength. I love your posts. I am glad your doctor's visit turned out well, and I'm glad you weren't
planted" - that would not be a good thing.