Welcome to my blog. I have had ALS for 10 years now.


Since I started this blog in June 2008 I've had amazing feedback. Family, friends, people from all over North America, Australia, Scotland, England, and places I can't recall, have commented, encouraged and corresponded. I had no idea when Cynthia taught me how to set this up, how much I would love posting and how many people would read it. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped propel this therapeutic exercise into a daily routine. All of you, both friends and visitors, are now part of my blog family. Welcome.

From Go Pro

From Go Pro
View from my living room

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Emily Carr--an inspirational woman


"She experienced everything with uncommon intensity, a factor which fueled her frenzied periods of enormous output, yet contributed to her self-doubt which led to a lengthy and marked slowdown--some would call it a regenerative hiatus--in her painting. Nevertheless, she pulled herself up out of depression, came to ignore public disregard, surrounded herself with pets, sang hymns to her half-finished paintings out in the forest, and, at fifty-seven, won her way to her most productive and original period of painting, producing the works for which she is most known."

This woman was and still is an inspiration to me. After two heart attacks and one stroke she scooted around on a self made orange crate with wheels--just so she could paint. I often pass this sculpture of her at Granville and 7th and stop to reflect on her life and her spirit. Yesterday I took her photo as the sun warmed her face. Somehow, I think she would have hated being in the middle of the city, but here she is reminding us of the deep connection she had to nature. Her monkey, a pet named "Woo" seems quite content with all the attention.
Emily Carr passed away in 1945 at 74.
Two years before she died she said, "Don't pickle me away as a done."

1 comment:

Alice said...

I have tagged you in a game. See my post at my page for the rules :) thanks