Welcome to my blog. I have had ALS for 10 years now.


Since I started this blog in June 2008 I've had amazing feedback. Family, friends, people from all over North America, Australia, Scotland, England, and places I can't recall, have commented, encouraged and corresponded. I had no idea when Cynthia taught me how to set this up, how much I would love posting and how many people would read it. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped propel this therapeutic exercise into a daily routine. All of you, both friends and visitors, are now part of my blog family. Welcome.

From Go Pro

From Go Pro
View from my living room

Monday, September 1, 2008

Some sad days too


It's important to express my darker days. I'm not super human and have some sad times. When I can't walk to the kitchen because of spasticity, when my left hand and arm won't do what I ask them to do, when my left foot sluffs and catches on the door sill, when my voice is having a slurry day and a receptionist can't understand me, when I can't pick up something that has fallen, when I notice new muscle atrophy on my legs, when a new symptom appears and reminds me of my fragile longevity, when I'm feeling fatigued and don't seem to care about anything, when I'm grieving the loss of better times--these things and more will bring me to tears. I mope for awhile. It may be minutes, hours, or a slump that lasts a few days. The best part is how much I learn from these events and my ability to focus on the positive and bounce back. My friends, family, counsellor, life experiences, all give me skills to navigate through the dark days and back into the sunshine. Today I'm in the sunshine.

1 comment:

Alice said...

I am so thankful you are in the sunshine today! God bless you! your blog is uplifting, honest, funny, to the point, sometimes painful, something to look forward to, informative, joyful, did I mention honest?, and I love it! Hang in there :)