Welcome to my blog. I have had ALS for 10 years now.


Since I started this blog in June 2008 I've had amazing feedback. Family, friends, people from all over North America, Australia, Scotland, England, and places I can't recall, have commented, encouraged and corresponded. I had no idea when Cynthia taught me how to set this up, how much I would love posting and how many people would read it. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped propel this therapeutic exercise into a daily routine. All of you, both friends and visitors, are now part of my blog family. Welcome.

From Go Pro

From Go Pro
View from my living room

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Contemplation



As I contemplate the road ahead, I reflect on writers and singers that were an influence in my life-- women who encouraged me to do whatever I dreamed. One song I always remember was sung by Helen Reddy. Some of you may remember her--and the song. I have posted "I am Woman" as Today's Song. I'm so appreciative of all women who fought for women's rights or acknowledged them through their music. For me, they made a difference.
When I was 22, with a good paying job, no bank would give me a mortgage. They always asked for my husband's stats. I didn't have a husband so they smiled and said, "I'm sorry." I persevered. At 23 I found a bank manager who was willing to give me a chance. With $3000 down and a mortgage of $15,000, I bought my first home. The rest is history.
Please listen to Helen Reddy--one of the women who gave me strength then, and gives me strength now while facing this demon called ALS.

1 comment:

Alice said...

I remember this song, also. I especially liked the "hear me roar" part :). I am retired now, but when I worked I was a police officer. I was only the second female on my department, and the guys didn't think I belonged there. I had to do a lot of "roaring" at the start to be heard, at least until I was able to prove myself. Thanks for sharing this song with us. I hope you have a great week. Alice